Do you know what kinds of research questions are best suited for qualitative methods?
Do you know what kinds of research questions are best suited for qualitative methods? How can you most effectively use qualitative methods in clinical and health services research? In this first course in our Mixed Methods series, Justeen Kay Hyde, PhD, and Thomas Mackie, PhD, discuss the differences between qualitative and quantitative research and how to critically assess insights derived from qualitative methods.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe differences for quantitative and qualitative methods
- Identify three assumptions of the qualitative approach, including epistemology, ontology, and methodology
- Discuss elements of a high-quality qualitative research study
- Identify ways qualitative research is effectively used in clinical and basic science research
- Outline examples of current funding and publication avenues for mixed methods research